Monday, January 7, 2013


Max Zaluska and his HLS

Why is this young man smiling? What he’s done is build the structure in his hands to a weight equal to about the same weight as one and a third dollar bills. Moving that structure means relearning how to move, how to walk because the slightest mismove, moving just a bit too fast, can damage or even destroy his work.
Yet he will take it to a very large space, wind up a rubber motor with 2,000 turns or more and release that structure, his plane to fly up into the space on its own. He’ll hope that it will fly for more than an hour.


Max and his HLS, originally uploaded by ronwfoto.
Here are comments by Max on his HLS. I’ve edited them minimally.
“I decided to go with Microfilm last year when I poured a dozen sheets with Ray Harlan’s help (see webshots). I wanted to preserve the originality and history of big unlimited models. I have learned that there are several difficult aspects to this event; first is the microfilm itself, pouring, lifting, covering, next is the construction process involving many jigs/fixtures to build/brace such a model and finally the flying aspect along with steering. I hope it’s understood by what I call the three different aspects to such a class.
I would like to plug in the Lakehurst event going on on July 26th and 27th. I will be attempting the record then. Along with me there will be two other HLS flyers; John Kagan and Tom Iacobellis, and perhaps Jim Richmond will show up with his. Jim has not done 60 minutes with such a model yet and I hope to beat him to it. I encourage anyone interested to show up and witness such an event, I have been in indoor aeromodeling for 5 years now and I have not seen as many as 3 or 4 Hand Launch Stick models at one event, this will be a great sight to see.”

No comments:

Post a Comment